Edmond started breeding sheep when he was 11, and by the time he reached voting age, he was shipping sheep to 20 states, transporting them to the railroad station in his model T. Ford. He was also a breeder of Percheron horses and spotted Poland China hogs and an auctioneer
Edmond and Mary Belle were married in 1919 and went to live on a farm southeast of Chariton in Benton Twp. The company, Edmond M. Stone and Sons was formed after their two sons were born. In the early 1940's they had a prize flock of Corridale sheep.
It was in 1938 that Stone opened the Chariton Seed Store, just off the square, handling farm and garden seeds and fertilizer.
By 1946, Edmond and Sons were operating 6 farms, near Chariton, totaling 900 acres, known as The Golden Rod Farms. They added Suffolk sheep to their breeding stock, some of these being imported from England.
The Bob Stone Machinery Company was started in 1946, and in 1947 Keith got the Kaiser Frazer automobile agency.
A familiar and friendly sight in the streets of Chariton is the new Henry J., used by the Welcome Wagon hostess. Mrs. Paul Holmberg accepted a new Henry J. from dealer Keith Stone.
Many dogs were bred, raised and sold from the farm. They were sent all over the country as pets and working dogs.
In 1949 a warehouse at 11th and Auburn, was occupied for the machinery company, which delivered many truck loads of machinery. Later this building was used for The Bob Stone Cordage Co. The company was formed in 1953, wholesaled binder and baler twine, cordage items and steel products throughout the United States with warehouses in Texas and Louisiana, and offices in Merida, Yucatan, the source of the major portion of the twine and cordage items.